I recent set out to describe what #anxiety and #depression felt like, looking for a way to describe to people who had never experienced, could understand it in a way that made sense, here are the top 50 descriptions that I found:
1. Seeing no future and no answer for any of the problems in your life.
2. Nothing is enjoyable. Nothing can make you smile.
3. It feels like you’re a ghost ... not a part of the real world.
4. It’s like drowning ... except you can see everyone around you breathing.
5. Dark, inescapable place. It’s like being locked in a room with no light, windows or door. It’s so dark you can’t even see your hands in front of your face let alone find a way out.
6. Inability to construct or envision a future.
7. Feels like falling down a dark bottomless shaft, wondering if and when your fall will ever be caught. And as you look back to where you fell from; which is where you know you need to get back to; you can see it receding further into the distance, the proverbial light becoming dimmer and dimmer, while the shaft into which you are falling becomes deeper, darker, and all the more enveloping.
8. Like having your mind replaced by another one that makes me feels worthless and numb to life. It deprives me of feeling anything other than a sense of perpetual sadness, never quite knowing the source of it but knowing that feeling well.
9. Stolen confidence and now, no longer feel worthy of anyone’s love.
10. Calls me names